With the welcome return of summer comes vacations, beaches, pools, and campfires. We know you’re ready, but is your camera? All too often we hear the dreaded stories of past vacations where a camera suddenly stops working. Avoid the disappointment by following this camera checklist:
1. Turn your camera on – It’s a simple step, but sometimes it reveals a serious issue.
- If your camera turns on – Great! Step one passed.
- If your camera does not turn on – Don’t panic. Try charging you battery. Camera batteries can go dead after months of sitting on a shelf. If your camera still does not turn on after charging your battery, bring your camera in and we’ll figure out what’s wrong. Your battery could have stopped holding a charge, or it could be something worse. We’re here to help!
2. Spend some time taking sporadic photos throughout your day – Make sure you use your flash for a few photos.
- If your camera takes photos – Great! Step two passed.
- If your camera takes photos but the battery dies quickly – Often camera batteries will stop holding a charge or hold less of a charge after a few years of use. If your battery life diminishes quickly it’s time for a replacement battery.
- The camera won’t take photos or has given an error screen – Try a different memory card. It could be a bad memory card causing the problem. If it’s still not taking photos, bring the camera in. It could be a quick fix, it could be worse. Either way, we’re here to help!
- The flash isn’t working – Check which mode your camera currently is in. In Auto mode your camera will automatically raise and fire your flash. In Program on more manual modes, you must tell the camera to use the flash. Check which mode your camera is currently in. If it’s still having issues, bring it in. Could be something simple, could need to be fixed. We’ll figure it out for you.
3. Download your photos to your computer –
- Everything downloaded quickly and looks correct – Great! You’ve got a working camera and memory card. We still recommend taking an extra battery and memory card with you this summer, because it’s always better to be safe then to miss an important moment.
- It’s been downloading for hours, does it usually take this long? – No, sometimes your memory cards have corruption issues and sometimes your memory card readers stop working right. Bring in the memory card and we’ll figure out which is not working. You can try formatting the card, but this will lose the photos currently saved on your memory card. Better losing those meaningless photos then important once in a lifetime photos.
- The computer gave me a corruption message – You can try formatting your memory card, this will delete all the photos currently on your memory card. You may need a new memory card. Remember all Promaster memory cards and rechargeable lithium ion camera batteries have lifetime guarantees.
Recommended summer vacation accessories:
- Optech Rain Sleeves – Now available in several different sizes, these plastic sleeves will allow you to take photos safely in the rain. Also great for protection from sand damage. Place your camera in the sleeve and take those great beach photos without having to worry about wind blown sand ending up inside your camera.
- Polarized lens filter – Great vacation spots always include some form of water and polarizers make a huge difference when photographing water.
- Back Up Promaster Battery – Keep taking photos with a back up battery. All Promaster batteries come with a lifetime guarantee.
- Back Up Promaster SD Card – Take more photos and don’t worry about corruption. Have multiple memory cards to save your photos to.
- Comfortable Camera Bag – The more comfortable you can make having your camera with you, the less likely you’ll be to leave it behind.
- Comfortable Neck Strap – Walking around with a camera on your neck can be irritating. Purchasing a comfortable neck strap or shoulder strap for your camera can change your photo experience.
Still not feeling confident with your camera or think there is an issue? Visit Bergen County Camera and we’ll check your camera and lenses, and give you recommendations for what accessories you’ll need for your vacation.
All-in-one awesome + touch-display convenience.
Capture incredible moments and relive them on the spot. HERO+ LCD delivers 1080p60 video and 8MP photos, and features the convenience of a touch display. Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth® connect to the GoPro App to allow for shot preview, total camera control and easy content sharing to Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and more from your phone or tablet. Rugged and waterproof to 131’ (40m), with the ability to power up and record at the press of a button, HERO+ LCD is the convenient life capture solution for all of your adventures.
Built-in touch display.
The HERO+ LCD touch display lets you preview your shot to frame the scene perfectly. It also simplifies camera control by letting you easily navigate menus and adjust settings with the convenience of touch.
GoPro video quality.
HERO+ LCD features the same immersive 1080p60 and 720p60 video that’s made GoPro famous. User-friendly modes like QuikCapture, SuperView and Auto Low Light make it easier than ever to capture professional-quality shots.
Versatile photo capture.
Shoot 8MP photos to share with friends on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and more. Time Lapse mode automatically captures photos at set time intervals from 0.5 to 60 seconds. Burst mode shoots 5 photos in one second—perfect for fast-action sequences.
Control, view and share with built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth®.
HERO+ LCD features built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth®, allowing you to connect to the GoPro App and Smart Remote.1 The GoPro App transforms your phone or tablet into a live video remote for your camera, offering full control of all functions and settings, easy shot preview and playback, plus sharing via text, email, Instagram and more. The Smart Remote allows you to control multiple GoPros from distances of up to 600’ (180m).
Trim and share video on the go.
HERO+ LCD makes it easier than ever to share your favorite shots through Instagram, Facebook and more. Now you can create and save short highlight clips from your videos right on your camera and share them using the GoPro App. You can also save them to your computer and combine them to create epic edits of your best footage.
Rugged, waterproof, all-in-one design.
HERO+ LCD is built directly into a rugged housing2 that’s waterproof to 131’ (40m). It’s designed to survive dirt, sand, water and nearly anything else you can throw at it. Surf, snow, pets or kids—capture it all without a worry.
QuikCapture + HiLight Tag.
Power on your GoPro and start recording with the press of a single button. QuikCapture turns your GoPro into a one-button camera so you’re always ready to capture key moments. HiLight Tag lets you mark those moments during recording and playback so you can quickly find them later for editing or sharing using the GoPro App or GoPro Studio.
World’s most immersive video.
HERO+ LCD features SuperView™, a GoPro-exclusive video mode that captures the world’s most immersive wide-angle perspective. It allows you to capture more of yourself and your surroundings in the shot—resulting in captivating, ultra engaging footage of every adventure.
Auto Low Light.
Let the camera do the thinking for you. Auto Low Light intelligently changes frame rates based on lighting conditions for optimal low-light performance, enabling you to move between bright and dark environments without having to adjust your camera settings.
GoPro App + GoPro Studio.
Expand your GoPro experience with the free GoPro App and GoPro Studio software. The GoPro App allows you to control your camera remotely using your phone or tablet, view and share your content and watch “best of” videos on the GoPro Channel. Use GoPro Studio to import and view your GoPro media, and create your own engaging GoPro-style videos to share with the world.
Focus sessions are free and take place in our store from 9:30 am – 10 am. All sessions will allow for questions and answers. Please bring your camera and any images along that you have questions about. Feel free to use the comment option to make suggestions for future focus sessions.
Hit the “Like Button” to let your friends know. Have suggestions for future focus sessions? Feel free to leave a comment.
Here’s our upcoming Focus Sessions:
July 4 – No Focus Session – Bergen County Camera Closed
July 11 – Wildlife Photography
July 18 – Sensor Cleaning
July 25 – When Things Go Wrong
August 1 – Waterfalls
August 8 – Mylio with Special Guest Harry Wendt
These are free events – bring a friend along if you’d like. Share with your friends on Facebook – Click the Like button below. Hope you can join us!
Join us this Saturday for a Nikon Demo Day. Nikon representatives will be in the store from 10 AM until 4 PM to answer all of your questions on Nikon cameras and lenses. Want to learn even more about your Nikon cameras? Sign up for the Nikon Beginner Class on July 14th and the Nikon Intermediate classes on July 15th held here at Bergen County Camera from 7 PM – 9 PM.
Recently one of our employees was contacted through their website with the following message:
“I will like to know your availability day in July, 2015 just for 6 hours service, also i will need portrait work done after the photography work is done after the event. I will like you to get back to me with your availability day in July, its a family reunion party. And also do you accept credit card payment?”
Note that there is no date stated for the family reunion, and the biggest warning sign, the request to use a credit card for payment. If you contact them with your prices they will respond:
“The price is okay with me and i am ready to make full payment of the service now with my credit card so i can be rest assured the date is secured for the event, I need you to render me a favor regarding the event planner that is handling the event for me. The favor is that the event planner is currently not authorized to accept credit card so i want you to help coordinate his fee on my card along with your payment. I will give you my card to charge for your service and the event planner fee (You will charge your fee then charge an additional $1500 for the event planner) As soon as you charge it through and it approves you will forward it to him so everything can be set for the event, Reason i am asking you for the favor is cus i just got out of Intensive care and My Psychiatrist strongly a Psychiatrist strongly advice me to minimize the stress i go through else i might develop severe weakness and tiredness. I am willing to offer you an extra $50 as tip for your assistance, Bear with me I will be authorizing and responsible for all the charges on my credit card.”
The scammer will give a reason to make a larger payment and will request you wire the difference to a second person. Once you wire the money, you will never hear from the scammer again. The credit card will be a fake and you will be left out of your money and time.
This scam is currently being attempted both on Facebook and through photography websites. They use several fake names through these scams including Leland Whitehurst, Shane West, Tom Porter, Jeremy, and Janice Adara.
Remember when anyone online asks you to forward money to a second party, this is a scam. Be careful and stay safe!
LEICA Q (TYP 116)
A pioneer by tradition
Leica Camera proudly introduces the Leica Q (Typ 116), a symbiosis of design and superior technology. With its fast lens, easy and intuitive handling, the Leica Q gives the photographer the creative freedom that makes the difference. With a full frame sensor and the Summilux 28 mm/f1.7 ASPH lens, the Leica Q is ideal for street, architecture and landscape photography.
- Easy and intuitive handling with fast lens
- Fastest autofocus
- Outstanding craftsmanship
- Easy, instinctive use with touch screen control
- Minimalist design
- Integrated Wi-Fi and Leica Q-App makes it easy to share pictures
- Range of classic and timeless accessories
- Adobe® Photoshop® Lightroom® available as free download
- Fastest autofocus lens in it’s class – Summilux 28 mm/f1.7 ASPH with macro-mode
- Full-frame 24 MP CMOS Sensor
- Live-View and Focus Peaking
- Integrated electronic viewfinder & thumb rest
- Video recordings in Full HD
- Made in Germany
- Extremely robust – top plate made of aluminum, body made of magnesium alloy
Pre-order today at Bergen County Camera.
Starting this Friday, stop in to Bergen County Camera and save $100 via mail in rebate on the Tamron 16-300mm lens. Featuring an 18.8x focal range, this lens virtually eliminates the need to swap lenses on any Canon, Nikon, or Sony DSLR. Available now both in store or online.
Canon’s incredible combined mail-in and instant rebates have returned for Father’s Day. Now through June 22nd, save $100 instantly and receive up to $350 back by mail-in rebate when you purchase any Canon Pixma Pro Printer. With the Canon Pixma Pro-1, Pro-10, or Pro-100, you can create prints as great as your photography. Visit Bergen County Camera to learn more about each of these great printers. Save even more during our upcoming Father’s Day Photo Night on June 18th from 6:00 PM until 8:00 PM.
View the complete list of current Canon mail-in rebates
Shop Bergen County Camera and Westwood tomorrow for a day filled with fun for the whole family. Westwood Avenue will be closed and filled with great deals and fun events. We will have our annual sidewalk sale filled with great camera accessories, frames, and more at huge discounts. The day kicks off with our Focus Session review of our recent trip to Provident Bank Park to see the Rockland Boulders take on the Trois-Rivières Aigles. Stop in and see some of the great photos taken on the trip and stick around for the Festival!
Bring the family in to Bergen County Camera on Thursday, June 18th from 6:00 PM until 8:00 PM for a night filled with fun and photography. While Mom or Dad learns how to use a Canon DSLR, the kids will get to design a custom photo mat. Mom or Dad can take a photo of their kids in our in-store studio and we’ll print a free 8×10 on a Canon Pixma Pro Printer. We’ll then mat the photo with the custom mat designed by your children for a great photo present for Father’s Day. Pizza and chicken nuggets will be served. Plus, we’ll have incredible deals on Canon printers available that night only!